Josh "The Punk" Thomson defeated Gilbert "El Niño" Melendez on Friday night via decision after 5 rounds of non-stop battling. Thomson took home the victory and the Strikeforce lightweight title.
Also on the fight card was Bobby Southworth who managed to defeat Anthony Ruiz. Southworth took home the victory and will remain with the Strikeforce light heavyweight championship belt.
The Strikeforce event attracted less than 7,500 people to the event. During a post conference interview, Thomson states that he was extremely happy with his win but is completely disappointed with the lack of fans in attendance.
Here are the complete results for the Strikeforce: ‘Melendez vs. Thomson’ event:
- Josh Thomson defeats Gilbert Melendez via a unanimous decision. Thomson becomes the new Strikeforce lightweight champion.
- Miesha Tate defeats Elaina Maxwell via a unanimous decision
- Bobby Southworth defeats Anthony Ruiz via a unanimous decision. Southworth remains Strikeforce light heavyweight champion.
- Jeremiah Metcalf defeats Raymond Daniels via a rear-naked choke submission at 0:59 of Round 2.
- Billy Evangelista defeats Nam Phan via a split decision
- Chris Cariaso defeats Anthony Figueroa via a rear-naked choke submission at 4:34 of Round 2.
- Bobby Stack defeats Jose Palacios via a unanimous decision.
- Alexander Trivino defeats Eric Jacob via an armbar submission at 0:37 Round 1.
- Jorge Interiano defeats Travis Johnson via a TKO-doctor stoppage at 3:00 of Round 2.
- Cyrillo Padhillo defeats Jesse Jones via a unanimous decision
- Bryan Caraway defeats Alvin Cacdac via a rear-naked choke submission at 1:39 of Round 1.