The UFC on FOX 4 fight card lived up to its hype as these fighters put up a great performance both on the preliminary and main events. In the first main card bout, Swick was making his octagon return after more than a 2.5 year layoff due to medical conditions. His KO win over heavy handed DeMarques Johnson proved that he still belongs in the 170-pound title race so we should be seeing a lot more of “Quick” in the near future. Lauzon and Varner definitely brought it, both fighters showed superb moves on their feet and on the ground. However, Lauzon did what he does best and that was to quickly use his Brazilian Jiu Jitsu and submitted the former WEC lightweight champion via a triangle choke in the third round.
The light heavyweight title hunt went from the winner of ‘Shogun vs Vera’ to what later was changed to… the fighter with the most “impressive” win between the co-main event and the main event fight (‘Machida vs Bader’ or ‘Shogun vs Vera’). Both Shogun and Machida won by way of knockouts, but it was Machida who won the most “impressively” and so now officially earns a crack at the title. Machida will take on the UFC 151 winner between current 205-pound champion Jon Jones and no. 1 title contender Dan Henderson.
Here are the complete UFC on FOX 4 results…
Main Fight Card Results: (aired on FOX)
- Mauricio “Shogun” Rua defeats Brandon Vera via TKO (punches) – Round 4, 4:09
- Lyoto Machida defeats Ryan Bader via knockout (punches) – Round 2, 1:32
- Joe Lauzon defeats Jamie Varner via submission (triangle choke) – Round 3, 2:44
- Mike Swick defeats DaMarques Johnson via knockout (punches) – Round 2, 1:20
- Nam Phan defeats Cole Miller via split decision (29-28, 28-29, 29-28)
- Phil Davis vs. Wagner Prado, no contest (accidental eye poke) – Round 1
- Rani Yahya defeats Josh Grispi via submission (north-south choke) – Round 1, 3:15
- Phil De Fries defeats Oli Thompson via submission (rear-naked choke) – Round 2, 4:16
- Manny Gamburyan defeats Michihiro Omigawa via unanimous decision (29-28, 29-28, 30-27)
- John Moraga defeats Ulysses Gomez via knockout (strikes) – Round 1, 3:46