(photo taken from ufc.com)
The UFC 84 event that took place in Las Vegas last Saturday night was enjoyed by 14,773 fans that attended the MGM Grand Arena. It was another great night for all mixed martial arts lovers, providing tons of action in every single fight. We’d like to thank all of the fighters for another spectacular performance and we’ll be looking forward to UFC 85 on June 7th.
Like always, the UFC usually rewards fighters for "Knockout of the Night," "Submission of the Night" and "Fight of the Night." Although it was very difficult to decide who won any of these bonuses, Dana White and the UFC have given $75,000 USD to each of the following winners:
- Knockout of the Night was awarded to Wanderlei Silva who knocked out Keith Jardine with only 36 seconds into the first round. Silva acquired the win that he needed and ends his 3-fight losing streak. The losing streak is finally history and we’ll be looking forward to watching him fight again in the octagon.
- Submission of the Night was awarded to UFC newcomer Rousimar Palhares who submitted Ivan Salaverry via a beautiful armbar @ 2:35 of the second round. Palhares made it look too easy on a very tough Salaverry. This win has given Palhares a sixth consecutive MMA win…a great way to start his UFC career.
- Fight of the Night was awarded to Goran Reljic and Wilson Gouveia. It was a fight that many of us didn’t think would end the way it did. Just when we thought Gouveia was going to take home the win at one point of the fight, Reljic quickly turned the fight around and claimed victory via KO-strikes @ 0:36 in Round 1. It was a great comeback win for the UFC newcomer.
The total gate for UFC 84 brought a total of $3,700,000, which was $1,400,000 less than the UFC 83 event. The next UFC event, UFC 85:Bedlam, is scheduled to take place on June 7th at the O2 arena in London.
- For more info on the UFC 85:Bedlam fight card, click here
- For the rest of the UFC 84:Ill Will results, click here