In one of the most anticipated fights of the year, the former WWE heavyweight Brock Lesnar battled his way through Randy "The Natural" Couture to become the UFC heavyweight champion for the very first time.
In the first round, Couture stunned the MGM Grand Garden Arena with spectacular wrestling skills. He kept Lesnar toward the fence in numerous occasions throughout the round. It was there where former UFC heavyweight champ proceeded with his dirty boxing. Couture looked to have acquired the first round to his favor, but there were still 4 more rounds to go.
In the second round, Couture used the same strategy. This time the Natural was able to slip in a few jabs here and there, which led to an open cut for Lesnar above his right eye. This didn’t stop the 26-pound beast because seconds later, Lesnar threw a heavy right hand that sent Couture straight to the mat. Lesnar followed with a shower of hammer fists and elbows, which forced referee Mario Yamasaki to stop the fight for good at 3:07 of the second round. Brock Lesnar is now your new UFC heavyweight champion and it will be interesting to see how UFC/MMA fans from around the world will look at this.
Here are the rest of the UFC 91 ‘Couture vs. Lesnar’ results:
Main Fight Card:
- Brock Lesnar defeats Randy Couture via TKO at 3:07 in the 2nd round (Lesnar becomes the new UFC heavyweight champion).
- Kenny Florian defeats Joe Stevenson via a rear-naked choke submission at 4:03 in the 1st round.
- Gabriel Gonzaga defeats John Hendricks via TKO at 1:01 in the 1st round.
- Demian Maia defeats Nate Quarry via a rear-naked choke submission at 2:13 in the 1st round.
- Dustin Hazelett defeats Tamdan McCrory
via a reverse arm-bar submission at 3:59 in the 1st round.
Preliminary Fight Card:
- Aaron Riley defeats Jorge Gurgel via a unanimous decision at 5:00 in the 3rd round.
- Jeremy Stephens defeats Rafael dos Anjos via TKO at 0:39 in the 3rd round.
- Mark Bocek defeats Alvin Robinson via a rear-naked choke submission at 3:16 in the 3rd round.
- Matt Brown defeats Ryan Thomas via an armbar submission at 0:57 in the 2nd round.