DREAM 5 took place at the Osaka jo-Hall in Osaka, Japan this past weekend. It was the Final Round of the lightweight Grand Prix 2008 for the DREAM organization. There were 4 fighters remaining, but only one man would remain champion. This is how the tournament looked like:
Lightweight Grand Prix Bouts:
- Match 1: Shinya Aoki defeated Caol Uno via a unanimous decision
- Match 2: Eddie Alvarez defeated Tatsuya Kawajiri via TKO-punches at 7:35 of Round 1
Lightweight Grand Prix Reserve Bout:
- Joachim Hansen defeated Kultar "Black Mamba" Gill via an armbar submission at 2:33 of Round 1
(The winner here would replaced Eddie Alvarez who could not continue to the next and final round of the night. Alvarez could not fight because he suffered an eye injury during his fight with Tatsuya Kawajiri. Joachim Hansen would then fight Shinya Aoki for DREAM’s Lightweight Grand Prix Championship Title- 2008).
DREAM Lightweight Grand Prix Championship Bout (Final Round):
- Joachim Hansen becomes DREAM’s first lightweight champion after defeating Shinya Aoki via TKO-strikes at 4:19 of Round 1. He is immediately congratulated and during his speech, he says that he wants to fight Eddie Alvarez as his first opponent for his title defense. Hansen admits that Alvarez deserved to be in the final and would like to challenge him as soon as the DREAM organization can arrange the bout.
Here are the rest of the DREAM 5 results:
- Alistair Overeem defeats Mark Hunt via a keylock submission at 1:11 of Round 1 (Overeem took this fight with only a 3-day notice)
- Hironaka Kuniyoshi defeated Miyazawa Motoki via TKO-doctor stoppage at 8:57 of Round 1
- Akiyama Yoshihiro defeated Shibata Katsuyori via a Gi choke submission at 6:34 of Round 1
- Tokoro Hideo defeated Yamazaki Takeshi via a unanimous decision
- Joseph Benavidez defeated Junya Kudo via a guillotine choke submission at 2:42 of Round 1
- Daisuke Nakamura defeated Andy Ologun via an armbar submission at 3:41 of Round 1