Ken Shamrock and his son Ryan Shamrock fought at the Cage Rage 25: ‘Bring it On’ event on Saturday night. Unfortunately it wasn’t a good night for the Shamrock family as they both suffered losses within the first round.
In October of 2006, Ken went into the octagon to fight Tito Ortiz for the third time in the UFC. Although Ken had lost to Tito twice at that point, his main objective was to end his feud by winning and then retiring from fighting once and for all. Ken lost that night, gave props to Tito and then hugged him as he left the UFC for good. Just when we all thought he had retired from mixed martial arts, he decided to ink a deal with EliteXC along with his son Ryan.
Ken flew over to England to take on Robert "Buzz" Berry at the Cage Rage 25 event. He seemed very confident coming into the fight as he tried to implement his game plan on the British fighter. He began by trying to out-box Berry and since that didn’t seem to work, he tried to take him down in hopes of doing some ground and pound. Berry wasn’t having any of that and knocked him out with a few strikes to the face. The Buzz adds an easy win to his favor after losing two in row, one to Neil Grove and the other to current UFC fighter Colin Robinson.
Ryan Shamrock came into this fight with a 1-0 record, winning his first MMA fight to Josh Besneatte at the KSP (Ken Shamrock Production) event in August of 2007. However, Ryan was unlucky this time around as he lost due to a broken hand in the first round. The doctors came in and made the final decision to stop the fight.
It’s a shame to have the Shamrock family all lose in one night. Let’s also remember that Frank Shamrock will be fighting on March 29th against Cung Le. Could it be that March is just not the month for the Shamrocks or is it just superstition. We can only wait and see when his time comes later on this month.
Here are the rest of the Cage Rage 25 results:
- Robert Berry defeats Ken Shamrock via KO-Punches
- Masakazu Imanari defeats Jean Silva via Submission-Heel Hook
- Rob Broughton defeats Neil Grove via a Majority Decision
- Tom Watson defeats Pierre Guillet via TKO-strikes
- Mustapha al Turk defeats Gary Turner via Submission-strikes
- Ivan Serati defeats Roman Webber via TKO-strikes
- Henrique Santana defeats Michael Johnson via a Unanimous Decision
- Aisling Daly defeats Aysen Berik via TKO-strikes
- Giorgio Andrews defeats Ryan Shamrock via TKO-injury
- John Hathaway defeats Marvin Arnold Bleau via TKO-strikes
- John Phillips defeats Jake Bostwick via TKO-strikes